What is Step Away?
The features and information provided within Step Away stem from decades of research on effective interventions for alcohol addiction treatment. With Step Away, you have instant access to useful tools, proven strategies and helpful feedback on your progress toward alcohol addiction recovery – all available with a touch on your personal iPhone.
Phase One Research
Why use Step Away?
The app empowers you by providing custom conﬁguration for many features so you can decide how it will be most helpful to you. No need to wait until your next meeting with your counselor to receive helpful strategies and feedback on your progress in your journey to conquer alcohol addiction. Immediate help will be right there on your iPhone.
Step Away will also provide resources you can share with your support person(s) (these are a person or people who really care about you and want to help you but may not know how) – to help them learn how they can help you succeed in your journey toward changing your drinking.
In a nutshell, Step Away will help you to:
• Set an overall drinking objective (to either stop drinking OR moderate your drinking) as well as smaller intermediate goals to help you succeed in stages.
• Reward yourself when you meet your goals.
• Stay in control when you are feeling tempted to drink by providing immediately available tools.
• Learn new and helpful strategies for dealing with cravings, bad moods and boredom.
• Stay on track during your personally deﬁned “high risk times” for drinking.
• Remind yourself about your reasons for making a change when you are feeling like drinking or are in a tempting situation.
• Set up a support team and reach out for help when you need it.
• Share your progress with others (family, friends or health care provider).
• Monitor your progress through weekly reports on your drinking, your triggers and your mood.
• Help you prepare for “high risk events” in the coming week – and strategically avoid alcohol triggers.
• Identify alternate (non-drinking) activities and schedule them directly into your calendar.